Monday, March 26, 2007

Some pictures

Josh visited for a couple of nights during the Melbourne Grand Prix. Min, Josh and I went to a friend's place that had a view over Albert Park Lake where the race is located. In fact, it is just down the road from our place so there was lots of action over the three days of racing. Another thing worth pointing out is the difference in colour between the foreground and the cricket pitch which is being watered twice a week. Soon Stage 4 restrictions will mean that all watering must stop.


On the balcony. We had great views of the fighter jet, aerobatic displays and the Qantas 747 which tried landing on the roof of our building...all for the spectator experience of course. It is well known that the City of Melbourne loses billions of dollars each year to the Grand Prix...there are many opposed locals. One sign I saw in the park leading up the the event said "Get the Prix out of the Park". The noise the cars make is immense. My mum wouldn't like it at all! The fighter jet which was doing displays over the park was really loud too. I didn't realise what a presence they have. The most impressive thing it did was to fly vertically until you couldn't see it anymore.....that seemed to be the stage exit.
My outrigger club is called Kai 'Opua Melbourne, and we made our first apperance at a regatta on Sunday. We weren't competitive against the large well trained clubs that were present, but it was a good experience. I was sooo tired when I finally walked in the door at home. I'd paddled the heavy thing about 25km all together and needed a bit of a lay down!

No comments: