Thursday, July 12, 2007

Listening to PBS

Hi guys,
Well Min is over her cold. And is working a cover shift tonight, so won't be home till 10.
To fill in my afternoon I thought I'd make some pumpkin, ricotta, oregano and almond canneloni. It was very successful, and I have also started a cheesecake for tomorrow.
Tomorrow Min is getting the afternoon off and we are going to visit Beth and Drew at the beach. I don't know what the weather is planning, but I'm sure we'll have a relaxing time. It's hard not to when you are around such nice people (and I'm looking forward to tea and cake already!).

I'm reading Bill Bryson's, A Short History of Nearly Everything at the moment. Have you read it? I am both enjoying it and finding it a struggle. I guess mainly because it doesn't have a storyline. So the end of each chapter feels a lot like the last. And with half a book to go, I don't imagine the next chapter will be all that gripping either. I guess I'm still reading it because the content is educational....not that I'm likely to recall who it was that first suggested that the Earth's crust actually moves when I'm next asked.

Has anyone got some ideas on a book that I'd like? I'm making a list.

buenos noches amigos.
Joff

1 comment:

Christy said...

yum, you're welcome to cook for us any time you're over.

mike never finished that bryson book - i've yet to start. mike really liked a book about that disastrous sydney to hobart race a few years ago, but you'll have to wait till we next go up to the bach before i can give you the title. your reading tastes are probably a lot different to mine - what have you read that you enjoyed? one of my all time favourites that you might like is 'ender's game' by orson scott card, and if you've read that then the parallel novel 'ender's shadow'

but now you've got me started... how about keri hulme 'the bone people', joshua slocum's classic 'sailing alone around the world' another book mike liked 'blue latitudes: boldly going where captain cook has gone before' by tony horwitz, another recco from mike is nelson mandela's 'long walk to freedom'