Hey people,
I´m sorry the last two entries have not worked. I tried putting up some pictures, but it will have to wait for another day.
We are in Xela (pronounced Shay lah) aka. Quetzaltenango which is the second largest city in Guatemala. There is a large Mayan influence in Xela as it is in the northern highlands (alt 2300m) and closer to traditional areas of settlement. Their origen was Mexico, but that was about 500 AD.
This is one country where I feel tall. Some of the old Mayan women come up to my tummy button. They wear traditional dresses and embroided tunics. Platted long dark hair, with coloured ribbon weaved in for special occasions ie. Sunday.
Like Antigua, the area is surrounded by Volcanoes, the largest being Santa Maria which reaches 3700 meters, without snow on the summit. Some of them are still active and one I am told, is active about 3 or 4 times every 24 hours.
It is smoggy, dusty and dirty. We have become used to all these things now. There are lots of dirty and sick looking dogs, the roads are narrow and often feature white painted rocks for road cones in the middle of intersections that are awaiting repair. However, the people of Xela are overwhelmingly friendly. A buenos dias is meet with a toothy wrinkled grin. The kids play soccer in the street as a little boy pees against a wall. It is a beautiful place, not for its shiny paint job, but for its people, its culture.
We are looking forward to a Volcano climb on the weekend. Tajamulco is the highest peak in Central America. I´ll fill you in when we get back.
till then
take care
Thursday, February 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Melinda and Joff,
All that volcanic activity may be second nature to some of you.
I love volcanoes the more i think about it, brrrrraaaaaawwwww
Isn't the internet just grand!
Regards,
Ross Cottee
just to let you know that am enjoying reading about your trip, photos are great, keep it up!
christy
Post a Comment