Tuesday, December 04, 2007

pushing the pain barrier

Ok. Note to self... Never push tight sore legs to the limit.

I have torn my right hip flexor. Luckily it was during the final game of our Ultimate Frisbee Tournament, but still, the pain is very uncomfortable!
It was half way through our 8th game for the weekend. I was asked by one of our experienced players to be the target (like a full forward/glory player) ie. run like hell to recieve at the goal line, while he threw a massive overhead shot. Just as he picked up the disc he yelled RUN.. so I ran.. and ran.. chasing a disc that was much faster than I was and trying to beat my defender. It was a perfect throw and it slowed to a hover near the goal line just as I felt intense pain in my right leg. I think it was actually a thigh cramp, but with the adrenaline, I kept running, now only about 15 meters from the line. I made it, scored the point and collapsed. ow ow ow ow owwwww.

I got iced. Saw the on site Physio and was told it would be ten days to two weeks before I was back at about 80%.

To make matters a little worse, because of the injury, I did not warm down or stretch after the game so now all my muscles are in shock!

Oh joy.

It was a brilliant weekend though. With all the stopping and starting and quick turns etc. it was much much harder than the half marathon. I guess coming off a couple of weeks of illness didn't help my fitness either.

I've taken the day off work today, and my need tomorrow as well. But I'll wait and see about that.

Min has been busy (as always) for the last couple of weeks. Hen's nights, dinners, long shifts at work... the appartment has been a bomb site. She managed to tidy up in a big way last night. At last she found a two drawer wooden filing cabinet that we have been wanting for just about the whole time we've been living here! So the piles of paper that wouldn't fit into our small files have been sorted and put away. The dishes are done and furniture relocated. Some times we really do feel like we have too much on our plates. I don't know how people manage with a young family!?!?! Cooking and cleaning and working for two is hard enough!

Some of you out there expressed your concern for my fungus. You can now rest assured that it has been treated by blade and I am now recovered. Thank you for your support!

kind regards,
joff

No comments: