Wednesday, February 27, 2008

back to school

Hello there.

I hope you are reading this, otherwise this whole typing exercise would be for nothing!

I realise that my posts have been few and far between in the past year. But I think it is a worthwhile medium for staying in touch with the few of you that might be reading this.

Well this week has been a little strange at Burnett St. Melinda has started her first rotation of Emergency Night Shifts. In fact, her first night shifts EVER. She is now half way through her 7 nights and is looking forward to her reward which is her week off at the end. She has coped better than we expected. The first couple of days were odd for her getting into the routine... eating the evening meal in her PJ's and driving off to work in the dark take some getting used to. She was involved in a minor accident (not her fault) which caused panel damage right down the passenger side of her car. This actually happened last week, but organising insurance and dealing with her Uncle (who's an insurance assessor) has been a bit tricky in terms of finding an appropriate time to call.

I am at TAFE (Polytech for Kiwis) this week as my first week long block of eight for the year. We have been making Hip and Valley Roofs in pairs. 4m by 2m. Everything is cut by hand which is a rude awakening after using the Drop Saw on site. It is a bit mind numbing, but useful knowledge. We are being assessed on this section during our next block which I think is in April.

I had a meeting with a group of Tradies who I will be doing a hike with the week before Easter last night. It was good to go over the topo. map and discuss what everyone is taking etc. I hope I can fit everything into my small pack. It is going to be farly luxurious because we are being met by support 4WDs for 3 of the 5 nights. This means we won't have to carry everything. There are going to be about 6 river/estuary/stream crossings, so pack liners and plastic bags will be packed! I'm debating whether I should take my SLR or not. Maybe I'll just throw it in a 4WD.
The hike is in the Croajingolong National Park and will take us a leisurely 5 days. I do have to be aware of paralysis ticks, leeches, spiders, scorpions and snakes. So our first aid kits will have to be comprehensive!
The area is reported to have the most bird life of any Australian National Park (including Kakadu) so it is fairly remote and spectacular. It's in the North Eastern corner of Victoria, on the coast boardering NSW. Should be great.
At the end of the walk Min will have about three days off work so she's going to meet me and we'll head up to The Snowy River National Park. That is also supposed to be a brilliant spot, so I can't wait for the next few weeks to pass!

Kate and Garry Egan arrive back from Europe on Friday. McCully St has been very quiet while they've been away. I know Judy is really looking forward to having them back! Nan made the comment while I was over there the other day that 'she has always had so many people around her. Growing up with lots of siblings and family all over the place'. So it is evident that she misses the coming and going of people in the house. Only two more sleeps Nan!

Mum and Dad have been wanting to go sailing in Tonga for a while now. And finally they are doing it- WITH US!! Min has all of July off, and I'm going to take some time off work to spend a week on a charter yacht (Moorings) with Mum, Dad, Michelle, Leah, Suze and Mary Anne. The Humpback whales will be arriving from their annual migration from Antartica around then and we may get the opportunity to go swimming with them! Min and I are looking at staying on for a couple of days after the cruise to do some diving and explore some of the islands. So Yay!

CONGRATULATIONS- firstly to Uncle Brett for successfully bidding on a house in Auckland! Well done Brett, I know how much you wanted a place of your own to call home!
And secondly to my friends Gabe and Karem for their engagement!

Take care folks.
love one another,

Joff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog Joff

Love from Mum xxx